Mobility Mining - Fields of competence
Fraunhofer Institute for Intelligent Analysis and Information Systems IAIS
Our project team deals with a large number of research questions which are assigned to the following competence areas:
- Which innovative technologies are suitable for recording mobility behaviour?
- Which data-capture technology is suitable in a particular context?
- What knowledge can new data sources such as mobile telephone systems, contribute to mobility research?
- How can the costs of primary data capture be reduced through intelligent data consolidation?
- How can sensitive data be processed whilst at the same time the individual’s privacy is protected effectively?
Analytical and methodical competence
- How can huge quantities of data be analysed and displayed efficiently and rapidly?
- Which and what amount of data are needed for a valid model?
- How can data be compressed and reduced without noticeable loss of information?
- Which analytical methods are suitable for which applications?
- How can methods/models be combined?
- Which methods, e.g. from data mining, are efficient?
- Which methods protect the subject’s privacy effectively?
- How can decision-makers be supported effectively with the help of information systems based on mobility data, for example in site and media planning, or in the development of new mobile services or new transport services?
- How many people on average go past a site every day?
- What is the frequency distribution across the road network between short-distance public transport, cars and pedestrians?
- What percentage of my target group goes past which point, when and how often?
- What path patterns characterise a mobility system?
- Which are the key points of interest (POIs, such as shopping centre) whose physical relocation would lead to changes in the mobility system?
- How does a mobility system change when a key POI changes?
- To which future topics can mobility mining make a contribution?
- Which other research disciplines enrich our own work?
- Which research alliances contribute to the fulfilment of our research assignment?
- Under the aegis of which aid programmes can the research questions be investigated?
- Along what route can a knowledge transfer of research outcomes flow effectively into the application?